Monday, April 17, 2017

Resurrection Sunday Dialogues

"Resurrection Sunday Dialogues"

Scripture:  John 14:6-9  (RSV)


Philip:  You ask him.
Thomas:  No, you ask him.
Philip: No, you!
Thomas:  You!
Jesus:  Ask who?  And ask who, what?
Philip:  (elbows Thomas)
Thomas:  (elbows Philip back)
Jesus:  (sighs)  What do you want to ask me?
Thomas:  We were just wondering if, you know, when, or in what way…
Philip:  (breaking in)  When are we going to get to see God?
Thomas:  Right.  That's what I was going to say before Philip, here, interrupted.
Jesus:  (with a look of sadness and dumbfoundedness)  You want to see God?
Philip:  Yes.  I mean, we've seen you and all.  And you're phenomenal!  Don't get me wrong.
Thomas:  Yes!  Amazing!  All the stuff you do, healing people, changing water into wine…
Philip:  (interrupting)  That one was great!  And the wine—superb!  Not too dry, not too sweet.  I didn't even get a headache after a couple of cups.
Thomas:  You had six cups…
Philip:  Not important… (pause)  Anyway, Jesus, we were thinking it would be amazing…
Thomas:  AMAZING!
Philip:…if you would, somehow, let us see God.  That's all we need.  Then we will be convinced enough.
Jesus:  Convinced enough for what?
Philip:  To go tell others we have seen God!
Thomas:  Yeah, we just want to see God!
Philip:  (nodding affirmatively)  Just see God; that's all.
Jesus:  That's all—you just want to see God?
Thomas and Philip:  (shake their heads affirmatively)
Jesus:  Done!
Thomas:  (with a fist pump)  Yes!  We get to see God!
Jesus:  You already have.
Thomas:  (looking around)  What?  Where?  Here?
Jesus:  Right here.
Philip:  Where, right here?
Jesus:  (pointing to himself)  Here.
Philip:  You…?
Jesus:  Me.
Thomas:  You're God!?
Jesus:  Yes.
(Pause)
Thomas and Philip:  (look at each other)
Thomas:  Whoa, I did not see that one coming.
Philip:  Neither did I.

Song:  "Behold the King" (with "Open the Eyes of My Heart")

Second Dialogue:  Philip and Thomas

Scripture:  1 Corinthians 11:23-26


(Use wooden stool and little wooden chair.)
Philip: (sitting in little chair)  Why do I have to be the one who sits in the little chair at the Passover meals?
Thomas:  Because you're the youngest.  (pats Philip on the head)
Philip:  It's humiliating!  (folds his arms across his chest)
Thomas:  You do get to ask the questions during the Passover meal.
Philip:  (mockingly)  Oh, boy; what fun.  (pause)  And why are we all sitting on the same side of the table?
Thomas:  Wait a minute—what's he saying?
Philip:  I don't know; I can hardly see above the edge of the stupid tabletop.
Thomas:  (whispering)  Did you just hear what he said?
Philip:  (whispering)  Something about the bread being his body.
(whispering the rest of the way through)
Thomas:  I wonder what that means.
Philip:  He just said his body will be broken.  Why would he say such a thing?
Thomas:  And who is going to do that to him?
Philip:  I dunno.
Thomas:  He's had some close scrapes—but he always got through them.
Philip:  Yeah, remember that time they wanted to throw him off a cliff?
Thomas:  (a little too loudly)  That was scary!
Philip:  So what does he mean his body is going to be broken?  Is he going to die?
Thomas:  For some reason, I never thought that could happen.  I mean, he told us that time he is God.  Can God die?  What will happen if he's dead?  If he's killed?
Philip:  (shrugging his shoulders)  I don't know.  (pause)  Let's not think about that.  What's he doing now?
Thomas:  Saying something about the wine is like his blood.
Philip:  What!?  Now what does THAT mean!?  (pointing)  And where is Judas going?

Song:  "You Are The Bread"

Communion



Third Dialogue:  Philip and Thomas

Scripture:  John 20:24-29


(sitting with backs to Communion Table or on top step)
Thomas:  I have no idea why I'm here.
Philip:  Uh, because you're a disciple.
Thomas:  I'm not sure I want to do that anymore.  I mean, Jesus is dead.  Who are we even following?  (points at the congregation)  Look at those saps over there.  It's time for them to put on their big girl panties and face the facts.  He's gone, Philip.  Dead. And. Gone.
Philip:  But he's alive!
Thomas:  Yeah, yeah.  (with an eye roll) The women said so.  Right.
Philip:  They said they saw him.  That he talked to them.
Thomas:  (patting Philip on the back)  Philip, Philip, Philip.  Ever read any psychology?  Mass hysteria?  That kind of stuff?
Philip:  (shakes his head no)
Thomas:  It's all in their heads.  You know how women are.  See what they want to see.  Hear what they want to hear.  Always overly emotional (fake crying).  Always making something so much more than it really is.  (pause)  He even duped us, Philip, telling us he was God.  How does God die, for God's sake?

(Jesus walks in and stands in front of them.  Thomas sees him and jumps straight up to his feet.  Philip gets up more slowly, looking back and forth between Jesus and Thomas)

Thomas:  What the…
Jesus:  Hello, Thomas.
Thomas:  Jesus?  (turning to Philip)  Pinch me; I might be hallucinating.
Philip:  (pinches Thomas)
Thomas:  Yeowwww!  Dang, I'm not hallucinating.  So you see Jesus standing there, too?
Philip:  Yup.
Thomas:  So he's really alive?
Philip:  Yup.
Jesus:  If you're still not sure, come here; touch my wounds.  Be absolutely sure.  It's the truth!  I'm the truth!  I'm alive, and you of all people need to be sure of that truth.
Thomas:  (falls at Jesus' feet, crying emotionally)  Oh my God, I've been such a fool!  I am so so sorry, Lord.  I do believe, and I promise I will do whatever you say!
Jesus:  (extends a hand; brings crying Thomas to his feet)

Song:  "See What A Morning"

No comments:

Post a Comment